Friday, January 11, 2008

Update.

I know it has been a while since I posted and am in danger of entering the "deadblog" zone. Here's my bid to avoid that.

I finished base 1 like a man fleeing a burning building. My body had about had it by the time rest week rolled around. The last Thursday of the last week called for tempo ride. This thing was bad. I just couldn't get my heart rate elevated much above 135 bpm while holding around 230 watts. Don't think for a second that this is a good thing. Quite the contrary, it is a classic symptom of over training. That coupled with several nights of restless sleep convinced me that I was in need of some rest so I took the last day of that week off giving me two rest days before starting the rest and recovery week. Boy did that feel good. I began to sleep again and the ache I had been feeling in my legs for several days subsided.

After the rest week I came back energized so I did my CP30 test on the first day of base 2. It went pretty well. I was able to hold 300 watts for 30 minutes giving me an FTP of 285 watts. I hope to see 15 more watts by April.

I started putting my new TT bike together. It was all coming together until I tried to put the crankset on. To my horror, the inner chain ring was contacting the chainstay! To quote a friend, "That will really slow you down." A new frame is on the way.

On another front, I am working with a group of riders who plan on doing the WAM ride in July. One of my athletes asked if I would be willing to give these guys a hand with their training and I jumped at the opportunity. I know Make-a-Wish works mostly with kids which is great. I have had so many friends diagnosed with cancer in the last year. It feels good to do anything that might alleviate some of the suffering these folks go through.

I know this is a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz kind of post. Sorry 'bout that. No great races to talk about. No pics to post. BB did an amazing job on his CP30 test. He is going to be very fast this season. I have his power to weight ratio at 4.2 watts/kg. Not bad at all. He has improved his FTP by 50 watts over last year while increasing his pw .8 watts/kg.

3 comments:

Chris Aten said...

I'm glad your feeling like yourself again! I feel the same way. Bike Boy's power to watt ratio sounds impressive (though I don't know what a good p/w ratio is). Do you know what a pro cyclist's p/w ratio should be?

Zachary Maino said...

Lance Armstrongs tour p/w ration was 6.3 watts/kilogram

Doug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.