Tuesday, April 06, 2010

A New Gear

I am now finishing up my second build phase and beginning the taper to my first seasonal peak. Something is fundamentally different with my engine. My power is up dramatically and no I am not doping. During my recent race simulations I sustained FTP for nearly two hours. Well, that means it is time for testing but I haven't found a convenient moment yet for this.

While racing Saturday with the team, I watched James, Steven and Brad ride away from me on Usery Pass. At this point in the race I had been doing more work than these guys but, still, when I hit the pass I could see that they were going too fast for me. To hang with them I would have to sustain something over 320 watts and hold it for almost fifteen minutes. Instead, I let them go, dialed in 300 watts and just held hit gambling that I could catch them on the downhill. The finish of that race is another story but it made me wonder if it isn't time to increase my FTP.

Yesterday I went out to that same 3.5 mile climb resolving to do three twelve minute repeats at 310 watts, (my former FTP was 292). Hitting the first effort I felt comfortable with my power fluctuating between 310 and 340 watts. My HR averaged right around 170 bpm and I felt pretty comfortable. When I got home I was pleased to see an average power of 323 watts for that effort. The second time up I managed 310 and finally 307.

While my endurance is still dubious with the cramping issues the elevated LT should lessen the impact. This increase in power means I have a bigger engine than I have ever had before which is making me contemplate the question, "how"? What is different this year?

One thing is the ability I have had to train outdoors. Overload is much easier for me if I feel the wind and have the distraction of moving scenery. I think another is the heavy emphasis on VO2max specifically 4 minute and Tmax intervals. My philosophy has changed from the past in that I no longer assign myself a number of intervals to complete. Instead, I assign myself a power to maintain and continue the efforts until I can no longer sustain the power. In some cases that has meant doing way more reps than I otherwise would have done. Specifying the number of reps may have done some psychological damage in that I shut down once reaching the required number of intervals. Lastly, just going out and riding as hard as I can for as long as I can has had some impact I believe. Setting out a course then riding it TT style aiming to hold 290 watts.

7 comments:

Alan said...

You haven't been so sick or out so much flying long routes as you have in previous years? Consistency in the biking I think helps things a bit.

Darrell Anderson said...

Fer sure.

dmo said...

Could the climbing you've been doing be helping you to push a higher gear? But yeah, I bet simply being able to ride consistently in the winter makes a big difference.

Darrell Anderson said...

The climbing makes overload easier for sure. Not having the wind noise somehow helps psychologically. Problem is training too much on the hills makes overload on the flats very difficult so we try and split our intervals up. I always look forward to the point in the workout when I hit the long hill because I know it will seem easier.

anna said...

http://tuesdaygrimpeur.blogspot.com/?expref=next-blog

anna said...

I love the winter boots very much,so last day I purchased two pairs of ugg wintetr boots and some nice nike running shoes from a shop,For my opinion,their boots have awesome quality and nice price for everyone,I think it maybe good for you.Good luck to you! Power Balance are also very poplar and fashion for you.I think you should have a try!

esion said...

Toms shoes can be seen everywhere and really during any seasons as well.
http://www.tomshoesale.com
Toms Women Zebra Canvas shoes linen stripe flat shoes
2013 New Toms Women Blue White Stripe Shoes
2013 New Toms Women Red White Stripe Shoes