Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Finally An Outdoor Ride

A beautiful day here in SE Michigan today and I ventured outside for four hours of base training. I decided to repeat my last week of base 3 instead of all of it then skip my R & R week and head right into build 1. That will mean a four week cycle which is not recommended for the master racer but I decided to throw caution to the wind. This means I will only lose one week of training due to the Ebola virus outbreak.

It never really warmed up today but I was fully equipped for a cold day. Since I am on call today I needed to stay near my car so I rode out of Barton Park up to Chelsea and back only to turn around and do it all over again. I knew I could get to my car reasonably fast if I needed to and my uniform was in the car.

I ended up with a few minutes to spare so I rode into Ann Arbor and gassed up on a Smoothie King malt. Only 887 kcals! My burn for the day, (BMR + activity), is around 5600 kcal so I can afford it. I saw Blair Dudley flying down a hill whilst I was climbing it as I rode back to my car. It was that hill on Sunset that has a hairpin at the bottom. I think this is the steepest hill in Ann Arbor. It has to be a 15% grade. Blair was just flying and I was absolutely crawling.

2 comments:

Doug said...

So if you are called, is that a scramble?

Darrell Anderson said...

yeah kinda' like that. :-)