Tuesday, March 13, 2007

What I Have Learned

After nearly a week long bout with the flu, I am assessing the damage and what to do about it. Today finds me still unable to train but at least the fever has resolved. Ed Burke and others recommend taking two days of easy recovery riding for every day of fever. That means I am looking at ten days before I can return to my program! So, I have decided to repeat base 3 which is going to mean my whole season will have to be overhauled. The Sprint Training Series was going to fit in nicely with build 1 offering some anaerobic capacity workouts. I still haven't decided what to do about the first few races in the series, (whether to sit in or sit out), but I will be a there to work with the juniors.

I said it before and I will say it again, I will get that flu shot next year. My son and wife had this bug for less than 24 hours and my daughters and I had it for five days each. The impact of a five day fever is exponentially greater than the 24 hour variety.

Ride safe out there.

2 comments:

Doug said...

Oh, good grief, just race. You will be fine.

Unknown said...

I'll second that! You will still put a hurtin on everyone.