Monday, July 07, 2008

Best Training Ride of the Year

Yes it's true, I am going to write about a training ride. Not just any training ride but the best of the year. I rolled out last night to get in 3 x 15 LT's. I spent the day rolling paint in the basement and really didn't feel much like riding. That is, until I actually got myself out on the road.

I spun to a subdivision around here that is a perfect 2.5 mile circle with two stop signs that I can almost always blow without any cars in view. After a few warm up intervals I hit the first 15 minute interval. My target power of 285 seemed incredibly easy. I said to myself, "Don't get excited Darrell...it always starts like this. Be patient, you'll feel terrible within five minutes guaranteed." Well five minutes came and I felt very fresh like I was in zone 2. Hmmm. Heart rate is at 166 bpm, speed is around 25 mph, that means I must be doing something here, right? I decided that legs that felt this good had to be put to better use than 3 x 15's so I decided I would do 4 x 15's. But isn't that selling good legs short? No, let there be 3 x 20's because I can shorten the ride by 5 minutes and get home before dark. Yes, 3 x 20's it is.

As I cranked along, doubt kept creeping into my mind, "Easy so far but your power will probably fall off by the last interval and you'll be hurting like a dog." Not so. My power held rock steady at 285 watts and I rode home a content bike racer.

I lost a lot of form when I went on those two trips early in the season. My power certainly faded but I do believe things are coming back now. Old legs, sleepless nights and global travel form a toxic mix for the bike racer.
For those of you in the EKH fan club, look who took her down at the Liberty Classic in Philadelphia! Way to go Kacey!! Must have been a hot one.

1 comment:

Chris Aten said...

Yea Darrell, you're back!

Stop being a creepy old man following these cute women pro cyclists. That's my job. ;)

(Just so you know, You're not old)