Friday, April 17, 2009

Desert Life

After the ride mentioned in my last post, I had a pretty rough recovery. I ate, showered then made an attempt at going to the library, (they have places to sit down there.) I was so blasted that I felt that a short nap was necessary. After that I was well enough to move on.

I did the same course on Sunday. This time I packed twice the calories. I made it to Saguaro Lake six minutes faster than Friday and felt great. Continuing from there I climbed Usery Pass and rode down the other side to Mesa, around Las Sendas, down Power Drive by Red Mountain before heading back to Saguaro Lake for more water. The difference between the two rides was quite noticeable. I got home in about 3.5 hours after riding about 62 miles and normalizing 211 watts.

Monday, I went back to work. Things are still pretty new and it had been almost two weeks since I had flown the new airplane. I sat down and it was as if I had never been to training! As James would say, it was "horrible!" To make things worse, the jet acted up every single day of the trip, (4 days in all). If it wasn't the plane it was the passengers showing up early and forcing us to work at crazy fast speeds to get the flight out.

The good thing was that I got to see the Cubbies play at Wrigley in Chicago. I am now a Cubbies fan, sort of. Tigers first but I am hooked! Wrigley is just crazy cool with the old scoreboard, grandstands on the buildings and on this day Michael J. Fox led the chorus of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game."

At the moment, I am sitting at Sky Harbor airport waiting on a flight to go back to see Jeanne and the kids. It is going to be fun but I already dread the flight back on Monday.

6 comments:

TheBrothersChase said...

missing the state crit down here.

From the UP but now in tucson, living the dream.

topher

Doug said...

Acted up? Pack your parashoot!

What kind of acted up? Are we like pumping the gas trying to get the engine to kick over?

Darrell Anderson said...

Topher, what's your story. I looked over your blog and we know a lot of the same people. Were you a Wolverine? A Dybo-lite?

Darrell Anderson said...

Hey Doug. The airplane is super high tech and it is a little like MS Windows. Sometimes it does inexplicable things. Once you perform a re-boot everything works well. You don't know whether a "hard" fault exists until after the re-boot.

Older airplanes were much more straight forward. If a hydraulic pump failed a light illuminated in the cockpit and you knew you had a problem because it was just a matter of a pressure switch, wire and gauge. True, those things occasionally failed but the odds were much more likely that you really did have a failure.

Doug said...

So, while the airplane reboots you must be dropping like a rock... hope that does not happen at 2,000 feet :). I could see you having a general protection fault:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_protection_fault

while going in for a landing :).

TheBrothersChase said...

i was never a wolverine but my brother was..i was able to rode with those guys plenty and they all stayed at my house last year for sbf...now im rocking the waste managment colors..im down here riding this winter and heading back north to race more this summer..