Friday, April 10, 2009

Getting back to the bike

I rode out of Fountain Hills today bent on making it to Saguaro Lake and maybe even Usery Pass. This video is taken on the climb a lot faster than I took it. I was moving along at 10.2 mph pulling 290 watts all the way up. It just kept going and going. When I got to the top I turned around and went back down hitting 43 mph. Incredibly, I had some dude in a pickup truck, (why is it always someone in a pickup?), lean out the window and yell at me for riding on the road and not in the bike lane. I just shook my head. The speed limit is 45! At those speeds I darn sure wasn't going to ride on the loose gravel and all the junk that lives on the shoulder.

3 comments:

Chris Aten said...

drive the speed limit man! I can't wait to be out there (if I get the job) riding the nasty shoulder with you and James

Darrell Anderson said...

The riding is unbelievable out here. I didn't mention seeing two bald eagles on the ride! The first one was roosting in a tree by the Verde River not 100' from the road! Couldn't believe it. The next one was soaring over the Salt River. The only knock is there is way too much chip and seal on the more remote roads. I would hate to go down on it. It would be like falling on a cheese grater.

Zachary Maino said...

Hey, I have actually ridden that climb. When I was out there with my freind Andy a few years back for spring break.