Monday, June 08, 2009

My plan for today was to take it easy and just log a few miles in zone 2. I was doing well riding through Scottsdale and up to carefree where I sampled a new coffee shop. Looking over yahoo maps I decided to ride out to Bartlett Reservoir and which would be a 34 mile loop. I had no idea what the terrain would be like. After riding uphill to the Bartlett Reservoir Rd I aimed my bike downhill from an elevation of 3,000 feet. I rapidly descended 600 feet before see-sawing up and down 500 feet for the next 10 miles. I made as high as 3,100 feet before riding 6 miles downhill to the reservoir which is at 1600 feet. Next up, turn around and ride out! These are all small ring climbs without question and much of it in my 25.

After digging my way out, I rode back to Fountain Hills to log my longest ride of the year, (95 miles).

4 comments:

dmo said...

Ouch!

dmo said...

Sorry to do this Ace, but due to your egregious lack of reportage, I'm going to hijack your blog.

Post: Aspen, CO

Been in Aspen these past two weeks for a physics workshop. There's a nice physics institute in town that holds workshops every summer. Aspen is surrounded by spectacular mountains, and the town itself is conspicuously wealthy. In fact, I may possibly have seen Jack Nicholson the other day - at least I got a quick glance at a guy who looked like him walk past me quickly with four people following behind him. Oh, and Lance lives here now too and is in town, but I haven't seen him yet.

Normally we physics types don't get to hang out in such frou-frou places, and most of us stick out a bit around the town. The story behind the institute is that a bunch of physicists bought summer homes in the area back in the 60' when the land was cheap. One of them donated some of his land for a physics institute, and the rest is, well, history.

The best part about this place (aside from the physics) is the excellent mountains all around it. We're at the base of four ski areas, and there are really nice hiking trails that go through them. I've also been ripping up the local climbs on a 20 year-old mountain bike borrowed from the institute. Unfortunately, actual mountain biking hasn't worked so well since the chain slips every time I really put down the torque, but road riding has been okay.

This morning I did one of the local classics - a ride up the Maroon Creek climb. About 7 miles at 5+% average with excellent scenery. It ends at Maroon Lake, at the base of the Maroon Bells peaks. Unfortunately I forgot my camera so I don't have any pics, but you've likely seen them on a postcard somewhere. On the descent I passed a guy in an O2-Cadieux kit. I would have turned around to say hi, but by the time the jersey registered in my brain I was already pretty far away.

Tomorrow it's back to Boston for two weeks, and then off to Vancouver for my new job. Can't wait to ride the mountains there.
Ciao!

dmo said...

Oh, and Zack, you're next!

Darrell Anderson said...

DMO, you got me laughing so hard I collapsed! All I can say is I'm guilty as charged.