Sunday, October 21, 2007

You all need to get a life!!!!

I have been enduring a withering barrage of criticism over my inattention to this blog. Please accept my apologies but come on people...really...you need to move on! :-)

The off season has been very refreshing. It helped me to see what a toll the season took on me. It has been great to step away for a while including blogging. After the Priority Health Classic I had no interest in racing and little in riding my bike. I promptly left on an extended trip to Asia then the recovery was enough to keep me away from training for some time after returning. In place of riding regularly I have been interviewing athletes, preparing my office, setting up and learning the subtleties of my Computrainer, etc.. I have only one more annual plan to write and that would be my own. I am the last in line for coaching and I must say I am not the right coach for myself. If anyone wants to hear an opinion on self-coaching just ask me. It works but just barely. You get structure but no objectivity.

So far, I am coaching five athletes next season plus myself. It should be a ton of fun given the range of athletes. I have two U-23s and three masters racers. All are talented and should do well in the coming year.

At the moment I am out on another trip hitting both coasts plus Florida. It will be nice to not have to do these for a while.

My training will kick in next month. Preparation phase first until mid-December. Weight training, plyometrics, stretching and some on-bike training. Slowly I am beginning to look forward to the season. It will be a grind but I think fitness base is such that I could have a better season than the last. I could potentially see a 40K at :57 or less and a 20K under :27. I think these are very reasonable goals if I can faithfully ride my plan. I will need a new TT bike since I don't presently have one. That will be a trick. I also need to equip with a new powermeter. I have my sights set on the SRM at the moment. I love the powertap but the wheel issue is just too much. With the SRM I can use any wheel set I want. The SRM is more costly and isn't quite as accurate but considering the wheel issue I don't think it is too much more to spend.

How's that for an update?

3 comments:

Zachary Maino said...

I met with Dr. McGregor today, he says hi.

dmo said...

Have you considered an Ergomo?
You could get two (or more) for the price of a single SRM, although I don't know how well they work. Or a second Powertap built up on a really nice rim? It might also be a pain to swap an SRM between a road bike and a TT bike. Just a thought, anyway.

Anonymous said...

We can't move on, this is my home page.