Saturday, February 02, 2008

Saturday Sweat Fest

I sit here pounding down a fine cup of coffee that I wish were bottomless and wait for a group of rugged SLC riders to arrive for this mornings training ride. Snow has fallen again in Michigan so we find ourselves indoors once again.

James and I tested each other last night. He had a 15% improvement on his top end power while I had a 5% improvement.

I am in the process of purchasing a blood lactate analyzer. I have become convinced that approximating LT is not the way to go. The model I have identified is the Lactate Pro made in Canada. The unit itself is not that expensive. It's the test strips that add up. I have been told it can take between 5 and 10 strips per athlete at a little over $2.00 per strip. So do the math and not including the cost of the test unit material costs per test will be $10-$20. In my book it is worth every penny.

5 comments:

Doug said...

$10 to $20, is that before or after the pimp discount?

Doug said...

But I bet the light usage fee is $145, right?

Zachary Maino said...

Lactate Pro is the same meter we use in out labs here at EMU

dmo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dmo said...

Hmm, you're not secretly becoming a vampire, are you? :)

Apparently one of Lance's freakish natural talents was the ability to sustain very high power outputs while maintaining a low lactate level. Sounds like a useful addition to your training monitoring arsenal, even though the per use cost is a pain.