Friday, June 20, 2008

The week in progress...

Tuesday night - crit practice was crash free! Our team continues to work on lead-outs with varied success. Who knew this tactic took so much work? It all looks good on paper and when you work on it in non-race situations but through in a little oxygen deprivation and race confusion and it gets difficult. Looking over the power file, I chased for 10 minutes at 350 watts. That's a first for me. 350 has been a 4-5 minute power in the past.

Wednesday - Kensington was my training ground this day. Poor form to go hard again after the effort at Runway the night before but it was my only opportunity to train on that course this week. Force is my weakness. It is my weakness not because I cannot produce significant force on the hills but because repeated efforts almost always leads to the dreaded muscle cramps. I put in 70 miles again over 13 laps and normalized 242 watts. This is down from my power the last time out but I think the previous night's workout beat me up pretty badly. My heart rate would not elevate much over 160 bpm.

Thursday - BB really wanted to do the AAVC group ride. I didn't. Soooooo tired. We spent the afternoon in the Wayne State University area touring the Detroit Historical Museum while Jean did up the DIA. I am on vacation this week so we thought it would be nice to do some vacation type stuff locally. We met up with the group at Forsythe Middle School in AA. Thankfully, Rich wanted to lead the boys on some pace-lining work which meant no hammer-hammer. We took it easy riding to Chelsea. My heart rate was steady at 100-110 bpm which was good. Coming back down Dexter-Chelsea, Blaire cranked it up and we all followed. That was fun after the long ride at such low effort. Alexey and James dove up the pace on Joy Rd. along with Steven Christy then again on Zeeb. Once we hit HRD again, our pace line went a little anaerobic until we hit Foster hitting speeds close to 30 mph steady. This is always fun. There is nothing like flying along at those speeds in a group that can sustain.

I know what you're thinking...riveting! What do you want for nothing?

On the news front, I will be passing on Rockford. It was a hard decision but the 330pm start forced the issue. I had to choose which race was more important. If the TT were first that would have allowed me to do the crit. As it is, racing hard at 330pm then driving home, reloading and heading out to Hines early on Sunday would have certainly taken away from my season goal to ride :57. As it is, I have no idea what I am capable of at this point. BB and I will be at Willow tomorrow and I will attempt a 40K then. It will be without the aid of my brand new Ritchey Carbon wheels. I broke the front wheel at Allen Park last Saturday. This was the 4th time the wheel had been ridden. The tire didn't lose pressure and the wheel is hardly out of true. With all this, Ritchey wants $350 + shipping for the repair! Just a word to all of you out there, Ritchey wheels are cheap but they are obviously fragile and it seems Ritchey is not ready to acknowledge this. Buyer beware. I will probably have them do the repair but the wheels will be restricted to TT use...what a shame. I am going to apply for a Zipp sponsorship in the Fall. If that goes through perhaps I can get some 404's for next season and sell the Ritchey's.

3 comments:

Daniel Ritter said...

Ritchey rims are made by zipp

Darrell Anderson said...

Ah, yes, young Weedhopper this is true but not all things named Zipp are Zipp! Ritchey Carbon rims are the old Zipp 404 made with something like 12 plys of carbon. The new Zipp branded 404 has around 40!! Buyer beware. The wheel is barely out of true, no spokes are damaged but the rim failed. What was a cheap wheel just got considerably more expensive and can't sustain the punishment of the more expensive Zipp. You get what you pay for. They will now be used only on smooth courses and TT's.

Little Bits of Everything said...

It is really hard to get a Zipp sponsorship, but if you do KUDOS!!!