Wednesday, June 04, 2008

What's Happening

I rode the MS150 over the weekend with Giff, Zach & Bikeboy. With extra miles due to a wrong turn, we ended Saturday's ride after 110 miles. BB worked his tail off riding in zone 3 for most of the day. We had the powertap on him set to average with our goal of keeping him under 120 watts. We finished the day with him at 123 watts average but this ended up being 144 watts normative meaning he really did a zone 3 century. No wonder he didn't want to get out of bed the next day! The second day we chose to do the 75 mile course to which BB gave his enthusiastic approval.

Last Friday I rolled the Black Widow out for 3 x 20's and man was it nasty. I felt like I was wrestling the bike the whole time. My power output was not good and my shoulders hurt. Yesterday I took the sled out again to do 4 x 15's and was very pleased to see my power more stable and my heart rate significantly lower at my assigned power. It was actually kind of fun as I felt much more like a part of the bike instead of an opponent. My plan is to continue to ride the Widow at least 2-3 times per week to get it all dialed in. One season goal I have is to ride the Wolverine 40K in 57 minutes or lower. It will be very hard to do this but I am more confident today than I was after Friday's workout that it could happen. Heck, after Friday I was beginning to doubt I could slip under 60 minutes.

2 comments:

dmo said...

Dude, you have bike called the black widow. How could you possibly not go sub 57? Hopefully the wind will be kind to us that day.

Darrell Anderson said...

Yes. With the carbon wheels and the black frame the name just seemed to fit. I am feeling my form coming back after all the travel so we'll see.