Monday, February 08, 2010

The Slacker

Feeling motivated last night I set the alarm for 4:15a hoping to have enough time to catch the 5a Brumby ride. The ride out is 7 miles from my hom$e. Early on it became apparent that I was going to miss them so I gambled on which route they would take to Usery. Well, Like most things I guessed wrong. I knew I would run into them if I just rode the oppoisite direction around the loop.

It was inky black riding in the desert at night. My headlight gave me just enough light to be recognized and see the road but not enough to really gain perspective on my location. Having ridden this route at least a hundred times I knew where I was based on the grade of the hill and which gear combo I needed to ride it.

Just before Usery Pass I saw multiple headlights making the turn onto Bush Hwy. This had to be them. I turned around, slowed and waited to catch on. When I did I was shocked by what I saw. Twenty riders riding wheel to wheel in pitch black conditions cutting through it with twenty or so headlights. One rider had a wicked strobe for a tail light. This thing would go off bright every few flashes. I learned to just look away before it blew out my retinas.

Some of the group were obviously experienced racers and others were not. Imagine how freaky it is riding a choppy paceline up and down hills in those conditions.

Some tri-dudes went to the front and drove the pace into the 30's. (I only know this because I checked my max speed after I stopped at Starbucks where I am now hiding out). Going fast w as fun and felt effortless but I still couldn't tell where I was. I was surpised when I realized we were on King Kong hill. I was number 2 wheel most of the way up until 2-3 dudes srinted for the top. My bike needs a twist on the limit screw as it is jumping on and off my 25. All the way up the hill I was fighting to keep the bike on the proper gear. No way I was going to sprint. I need to take a look but I am also concerned my right shifter is failing. I really hope not. Dura Ace shifters are waaaayyy too much $$$.

Did I mention it was 46F at ride out? Given it was cold, my bike needs some attention, I can't see my power output, the Brumby's have all gone to work and I have had zero caffeine I pulled over at Starbucks. The sun is now coming up and I think I will re-mount my trusty steed and head over to Usery Pass for some hill repeats. Have a good day all!

For my DNA homies, this MWF group rides out of Val Vista and Hermosa Vista at 5a. Mondays and Fridays they ride straight up McDowell to Ellsworth. Wednesday they take Thomas to Recker through Red Mtn ranch to Power. The ride is fast but not super challenging until you get to the hills.

3 comments:

Alan said...

That tail-light you describe is a PlanetBike Superflash (http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3034.html). I use it on my commute bike, its great for getting drivers attention (in a good way).

Zachary Maino said...

I have the same one. It works great.

esion said...

Toms shoes can be seen everywhere and really during any seasons as well.
http://www.tomshoesale.com
2013 Toms Women Green Red maple Leaf classic shoes
2013 Toms Women White Red maple Leaf classic shoes
2013 Toms Women White Star classic shoes