Monday, December 17, 2007

Flying the line and other life events

I am presently seated in seat 4c on a NWA regional jet winging my way back to the "D" from Savannah, GA. I dropped off one of our airplanes this morning for an inspection. Savannah was cold but bright, clear and no snow. Metro airport was still digging out this morning. We had a clear path to the runway but it was still pretty slick. The runway was in very good shape. We blasted through the clouds early on and broke out on top in time to view a beautiful sunrise. What a privilege it is to do what I do for a living. There's no way I could describe adequately what it is like to rocket down the runway in this amazingly powerful jet, lift off the runway at 140 miles per hour then climb through a low cloud deck at 5,000 feet per minute then fly out of the top of that same cloud deck. We sometimes take if for granted and cease to be amazed but not today. It was amazing.

Blog Changes

Some of you have noticed I deleted some comments recently and weren't pleased. First off, please forgive me for doing this to you but I have been allowing anonymous comments and that potentially invites graffiti type comments. Some blogs I read get some real off-color stuff in their comments section and I don't really want that so all comments from now on will require you to register with blogger. It is painless and that will make sure we have the necessary context when reading them. When we are anonymous we may be tempted to write something we might not otherwise post. Thanks for understanding.

Week 2 of Base

The volume is kicking up to 16.5 hours this week. It is going to be a real challenge getting it done due to a challenging trip I have to crew mid-week. I think I have a plan that will work but it will involve hotel stationary bikes.

Race Calendar

Have you all noticed that the Wolverine TT is going to be the day after Dexter? Hines is going to be the day after BTR again. That's the way it has to be I guess but racing Dexter Saturday then the TT Sunday is going to have some affect on my time. It is going to take some planning to get maximum performance on those TT's.

2 comments:

James Anderson said...

And also, Nationals overlaps Hines Park.

Doug said...

Do you make liberal use of the afterburner?

After the TTs, just get extra sleep, 9 to 10 hours should do you.