Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I feel like a former cyclist

After the big trip I settled in for a great week of training. It was peak week 2 so I only had two days of intensity. I felt fantastic each time I got on the bike. The two days of intensity were both at Kensington. Using the power meter I rode up the hills between 400 and 500 watts. The second day was with James and he really has it going on when it comes to those hills. It took a 600 watt extended effort to finally shake him off my wheel! On the first hill he just blew by me and I had to ask him to let up until I could get a warm up. I ended up spending around 30 minutes over 400 watts all told. We only trained for a couple of hours but I was pretty much leveled. I was bumming about the bad recovery thinking about the amount of time I would have to ride above 400 at the ToKV compared to this training ride then I did the math and realized the race would be done at around 40 minutes. It will hurt for sure but it shouldn't be much worse than that last hard day.

This week I am in Dallas doing a Gulfstream recurrent training session. Hotel stationary bikes, too much restaurant food, lousy sleep, etc.. I feel totally disconnected from cycling.

2 comments:

Doug said...

Old age setting in. Do the 45+ this weekend, it might even the odds :).

Darrell Anderson said...

Nice...cat 3 team captain skips out to race a field he has a better chance of winning...that's leadership!!