Friday, May 02, 2008

Honolulu At Last!



We left Australia about 4pm for the nine hour and twenty five minute flight to Honolulu and the end of our working trip. We had to steer around a couple of rain showers shortly after takeoff which brought a bump or two but then smoothness for about seven hours.

Let me say this about Melbourne...it is straight awesome. The city is relatively new even compared to American cities.They keep there town spotless. There are people everywhere walking and biking and they are so incredibly friendly. I saw a dozen or more fully kitted riders heading out of the city to train. This is a place where I could easily live.

So we flew overhead Sydney then out over the Pacific to Fiji where we made a slight left hand turn to fly a direct line to Honolulu. We managed to cover the distance in about nine hours eighteen minutes which is a good time for that leg which can easily take 11 hours.

The tradition in Hawaii is to receive their brand of hospitality upon arrival. Our handler gave us all lei's and offered us drinks. This isn't the kind of treatment we get anywhere else in the world. We sat there for a couple of hours before driving off to our hotel at 7am or so. (We landed at 530am on the same day we took off.) The ladies at Air Service Hawaii are the best!! Thanks!


































I slept for a bit and I am typing this on my Blackberry at Waikiki Beach. Before giving me grief about my job keep in mind that I have now crossed 18 time zones in less than one week. I feel pretty debilitated and about all I feel like doing is sitting here and veg out.


My fellow pilots just joined me and I think we will hunt up some dinner. Bye for now.

4 comments:

Zachary Maino said...

Ok, yes you have flown 18 time zones in a week and are completely exausted....but your job is WAY COOLER than sitting in an office. You get to travel around the world!

Zachary Maino said...

We consider vacation going out of the state, or up north. You get to go our of the hemisphere for work!

Daniel Ritter said...

Just for kicks I looked up that GV's registration and it N300K use to be a Convair 580

mcniadh said...

Hawaii is such a nice place. The last time I ever flew on Pan Am, it was to HNL. That's a great way to be welcomed back to the US.