Monday, August 04, 2008

Ada Criterium

Not a great day out for me for a couple of reasons. First, when my legs were working my head wasn't and when my legs quite working, well, you can guess the rest.

I took sixth in the master's 45+ after burning match after match either trying to chase or form my own break. Neither happened. The flyer stayed away and I was left to my own devices on the last lap. I was all goofed up and shot to the front instead of doing what I have learned to do in crit practice. Stay five riders back, within striking range and follow the wheels to the sprint. The first rider will be toast and I could allow the others to lead me out. Instead, I went for a gap on the last lap resulting in a splendid lead-out for the rest of the field. Like I said, not a great day out. In retrospect, I should have shelved the whole thing and saved my matches for the cat 3 race which was more like a cat 1-2 field. It was very, very fast. It could have been perception on my part due to tired legs and one hard race already under my belt but it seemed like the pace just wouldn't slacken. It finally let up a little, (my heart rate dipped to 165 bpm), then away we went again. When I realized the pace was never going to slow and allow me the sort of natural push to the front I dialed it up to make my way to the front. As soon as I did this my legs cramped so badly I couldn't turn the pedals over. There wasn't a choice to be made. I was completely toasted. My legs no longer worked as a means to pedal a bike. I rolled though the judge's stand and retired.

The 1-2 race was a thrill to watch as usual. The Bell's beer tent made for a nice area to socialize. Overall, I have to say, I love this venue. I only wish more people would come out and give this beautiful sport a look. Men and women are absolutely giving their all to compete. I love being there as a spectator every bit as much as a bike racer.

We are looking forward to next year.

No comments: