Friday, August 29, 2008


It seems like this trip is endless. It was two weeks ago today that I left the "D" and I won't be home until next Tuesday! Many think this job is glamorous and yes, it can be, but if I had my 'druthers, I would be back in my little vinyl sided house in Saline chasing Mrs. Anderson around to the chagrin of her kids. Embarrassing them is my life's ambition!

Today was body surfing day. I went to this little beach and the surf was just right. The first beach's waves bordered on the obscene. They were just enormous. I stopped there on the way home and just watched body surfers and boogie boarders kill it...almost literally.

While awaiting a wave, I noticed the a crowd gathering on the beach and pointing in my direction. They began to shout something I couldn't discern over the sound of the waves. Concerned, I made my way to the beach when I could hear one of them yelling, "Stingray!" Big deal. Who's afraid of a little stingray? Well, it turns out this was a different kind of ray something like a Manta Ray. It had no tail and beautiful speckles on the underside of its wings. We were allowed to swim up close and examine and when the ray had enough it just left.

About this time I looked up and saw para-gliders. The beach is on the windward side of the island with a bluff which forced the trade wind straight up the bluff. The para gliders jumped off the bluff and spent well over an hour soaring. Later I noticed a hang glider that was covering serious distance. He flew into and out of view, could be seen far in the distance before returning to land on the beach.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yikes! Sorry Ace, but you have absolutely no pity from me at the moment. :)

dmo said...

Oh yeah, that was me above (a.k.a dmo).

Darrell Anderson said...

Have you made it to Boston yet?

Doug said...

I want to see you fly a P-51 while you are out there.

Take pictures of some of the cute chicks out there man, if you are even in HI.

That is a nice pile of sand, that looks just like the coastline along Lake Michigan.

I still want a picture of an unfakeable sign.

Doug said...

See:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zealvt/33822035/

Doug said...

He is just over near Lake Michigan.