Saturday, February 03, 2007

Coldest Day of the Year So Far

Unbelievable weather here in south east Michigan today. Forget riding outside unless you gear up like your off on the Iditorod. Seriously, it looked like pics I have seen of Antarctica with strong winds blowing up snow and just throwing it everywhere.

Today is the day of the week that I write weekly plans for my athletes. It usually doesn't take too long to complete but this week has been a bit different in that I have two new athletes and I am tinkering with every one's annual plan. It struck me that it might be smart to schedule a transition period for everyone after the first A-race has been completed. It sounds like an easy process but it jumbles up the whole plan. I think I have everyone set up except for myself!

Rune Duke was over this morning bright and early for testing. Not too high tech we just wire up my power tap on his bike so we can measure power output. We talked a lot about stuff including the kind of training a lot of others are doing. The bottom line is that we are not going to be at the front of the pack in March. That month will have us just beginning our build periods so LT intervals and anaerobic capacity intervals will just be getting started. The base miles we have been putting in won't be winning us any races that's for sure. Rune reads a lot and knows the story. The testing today confirmed that the base miles haven't magically moved Rune's LT but we fully expected that. More than anything else, I just want to make sure we are hitting our targets and so far so good.

1 comment:

Doug said...

Back in my day we walked ten miles to school, up hill both ways, in six feet of snow, with no shoes on.

Wire up... yeah, twist these two wires together, there a small spark and boom it might just work.

I won't be at the front in March or April either. But, I bet if I pass out $100 bills at the start I might be able to pull something off :).