Monday, February 19, 2007

Florida, Frost, Mexican food and Montezuma

So I drive done to Florida to enjoy some time relaxing with family and bike and what do I find? The coldest week of the year in Florida. Highs forecast for my stay never get above 65 degrees but at least there will be no major rain storms.

I hit the road last Friday in 45 degree weather and 30+mph winds. It was still awesome!! All these months inside and the odd outside ride is less than optimal. I put in just over three hours. I am riding in the Clearwater Beach area which is, like the rest of Florida, flat as a pancake. But to my delight, I discovered some newly constructed bridges that were just excellent for hill repeats. One thing of note is that your head must be on a swivel down here. The locals, all well over the age of thirty, are unpredictable as heck. We have all experienced the odd boneheaded driver that just blunders into your path but down hear they take it to new highs. I was just humming along with that thirty mph tailwind and very red Ford F150 pulled across my lane into a driveway and just stopped. I mean it, he just stopped with his big fat rear end completely blocking my lane. The brakes were applied and coupled with a sketchy evasive manuever, an ugly crash was averted.

Saturday was a better day for riding here with temps rising into the mid-fifties. The winds faded and I was off for two hours in glorious sunshine. I rode the Pinellas Trail which is a a fairly wide bike trail that runs up and down the coast. I was on it and off it because the stops got to be a bit much. Noteworthy on the ride were the numerous Osphrey that were nesting along the the trail and roads.

Before my training ride we hit a local Mexican restaurant for lunch. The food was great but about midnight a raging attack of the green apple two step was in full swing. This was a major downer because it ruined Sunday for riding. I consider myself a tough rider but training through this would have been physically impossible.

Today was better but I wanted to take it easy just to make sure there would be no relapse so I went out for an hour. I felt great and even did a few more hill repeats. I just have to say this, and I know I am saying it to a sympathetic crowd, I love riding my bike. A sunny day, good legs, the wind in your face and the freedom to steer your bike anywhere you want to go. Awesome.

Tomorrow morning I will try and get an early ride in before beginning the drive back to Michigan. Even though it has been cold it has been relaxing and fun.

1 comment:

Doug said...

Was that a red F-350 diesel dually?