Saturday, March 01, 2008

Plans Disrupted


So I battle a raging snow storm to get to the airport and driving up to the gate at our hanger I hit the brakes on my 6,000 pound Expedition EL and nothing happens. The driveway was so slick the anti-lock brakes wouldn't allow any braking at all. I slowly rolled right into the gate! The poor guard saw me on the video cam and tried to open the brutally bent gate not knowing the damage me and my behemoth vehicle had done. Par for the course. I was running late due to the storm, bent the gate silly and now we made our way to the terminal for the next phase in my odyssey.

After an uneventful check-in and security screening, we strolled to the gate, (the one at the very end of the concourse), and were quite surprised to see a jet parked there. In my mind, I was sure there would be no airplane there because of inbound delays. They were unloading bags and we knew we would be running late but things looked promising. We had about 40 minutes to catch our connection in Minneapolis. It was going to be tight but we had a good shot. Well, we boarded 20 minutes before scheduled departure so things were still looking up but that is where the good news ends. We sat there over an hour. When we finally did push back we had to go to de-icing. Bottom line we took almost an hour and a half late. We did have a faint hope that the connecting flight would be delayed.

After we landed in Minneapolis I scanned the terminal for our connecting flight's gate and much to my surprise there was a 757 parked there which is the kind of airplane we were scheduled to fly on. We had a shot. We jumped off the airplane and ran to the gate only to see the jetway being pulled back and the airplane pushing back. We missed by the slimmest of margins.

So, we get a night in Minneapolis which meant dinner at the Twin Cities Grill at the Mall of America. NWA has us on a flight out at 1140 am today.

5 comments:

Doug said...

Don't you fly the planes? What is with you having to take flights? And how much are they going to bill you for the gate?

Darrell Anderson said...

I think you are the only person who still reads my blog.

Darrell Anderson said...

I don't know what the cost is gonna be. I smashed that thing though. I guess I did them a service in that I wasn't trying to run the thing down. If I was, it would be in pieces. What if Al Queda, quesadilla or whatever, was charging the place? I think we need more substance there if we are really going to prevent something like a disgruntled worker or a car loaded with Gatto-like terrorists.

Darrell Anderson said...

BTW,what's up with your website? Do you pay your bills? Geez, c'mon.

Darrell Anderson said...

who's your isp, Websites 'R Us?