Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Out of India

Wow, what an experience. India is truly a world away from anything I have ever experienced. There are no words that could adequately explain the situation there. I stayed in my hotel room while my colleagues toured the city. They borrowed my camera and shot this picture.

After we got off the airplane we had to drive around the airport and it was just crazy. A one lane road that was shared between our van all other opposite bound vehicles and numerous dogs. It was just crazy.

The next day we we arose at 3:30am to make the trek back to the airport. The airport situation there is just horrific. Airline passengers spend an average of 4 hours getting through security and bureaucracy. We were not going to have to do that but it still took over an hour to make it through.


The south Indian people have an interesting way of bobbing their head to the side when they speak. It serves as a sort of punctuation mark on their speech and at times it is a stand alone communication device. We have all been working on our version of it but it is truly unique. As we moved through the airport we noticed a bobble head doll that we just had to have. The day before I was telling the crew about a Yahoo story I had read about Iron Maiden's tour jet. The lead singer is also the pilot and he has this bobble head statue that sits up on the glareshield judging landings by the degree of head bobble. It was agreed that we needed to work on some similar sort of device. This little doll now serves that purpose on our airplane. I call him Rageev.


We are now in Australia after a 10 hour flight. It is fall here. The winds were blowing with temps in the high 40's which is quite a change from our last stop. Driving through the city to the hotel city workers could be seen powerwashing the sidewalks. What a difference.

Chris Aten is one of my athletes and he always likes to hear DJ Tiesto when he tests. I went down for a coffee today and saw this little curry shop across the street. Lunch was found. As I walked out, behold I saw this poster advertising a concert tonight! I should go for Chris but I won't because I hate Tiesto. Chris knows this and never gets offended but I like Chris and out of respect for him I though I would post this pic.

6 comments:

joe1265 said...

Hello Darrell,

Great posts! I've been using your recent trip to teach a little geography and history to my son. After following you from US to Turkey then out over the Arabian penninsula, we looked at a world atlas and I asked him where he thought you might be next and showed him the picture of the green landing strip you posted with the ?????

He guessed India (with a little help). I guessed, maybe South Africa.

So, your blog has become an educational tool.

Keep up the posts. You know, your new nickname just might be WALDO, as in "Where's Waldo!"

Darrell Anderson said...

Joe and Bobby,

Thanks for reading my blog. We are off again tomorrow from Australia flying to Honolulu. We fly overhead Fiji then a straight shot to Honolulu.

Doug said...

You want that cow, you NEED that cow, Darrel, buy that cow!!!!

Doug said...

James, your dad emailed me, he is bringing home a new pet.

Doug said...

Oh, and you can now sell the lawn mower.

Chris Aten said...

Believe it or not, I unconsciously had the bobble head down last summer. Two months made it part of my language, haha. That's one of the things I told my parents when I first got back too.

You missed out with Tiesto...