Sunday, April 27, 2008

Istanbul

Hi all. I am not biking over here. I am almost totally sedentary. Thanks to all who have chimed in with their advice and I agree with the consensus. I think there is little to be gained with long slow distance training. There is a killer health club here at my hotel but, alas, I am completely drained and it is the last day of my rest week. Therefore, I will make every effort to get a tough workout in on Tuesday.

Due to my limited intellectual capabilities I just now realized I have no hope of doing Cone Azalia. My flight arrives home that morning after flying all night home from Honolulu. So, before I have turned a single pedal in anger I am firmly established in last place in the points standing. My only comfort is my team mates are 1, 2 & 3!

Today I had the very great privilege of touring one of the oldest churches in all of Christendom. St. Sophia, or Hagia Sophia as it is also called, was built in the 6th century, (I think), by the emporer Justinian. There were older churches that stood at this same sight but they were destoyed. There are some ruins credited to Theodosius and legend has it that Constantine built the first church there in the fourth century.
We took a taxi from the hotel to the entrance. I paid the driver while the other two pilots and flight attendant exited the cab. They were immediately greeted by a very energetic Turkish carpet salesman. He very quickly singled out our flight attendant for his attempt to tour guide us to his carpet shop. We saw it coming but she didn't. We tried to separate her but the longer she allowed him to shower her with tour guidance the more he was inclined to feel she owed it to him to come to his shop.

The Blue Mosque is across the street facing St. Sophia. He suggested we go there first because it was about to close so we were time limited whereas St. Sophia was open all day. Oh, and guess where his carpet shop is? You guessed it, right next to the Blue Mosque.

We formulated a plan to have her tour the mosque then we would offer a tip to this guy and walk away when she came out and there was always a chance he would give up on her while she was in there. Well, the rains started to pour so now every would be tour guide became an umbrella salesman shouting, "Umbrella, umbrella, umbrella...," at the top of their lungs. Our guy came over to me and I told him I was fine. He took offense to this and said, "What is wrong with you people!"




I found shelter under a portion of the mosque with one of the other pilots away from out guide. When Jan finally came out he came right at here. We tried to tip him away and he became even more offended and said he didn't want out money but that we should go to his shop and look at carpet. I don't need carpet. My wife buys a carpet a week from Meijers which comes from China. I already have exotic Chinese carpet in my house and, now, into my garage as the indoor carpet is replaced.

When we finally got free we had a splendid time touring this magnificent, historic cathedral.

2 comments:

Doug said...

You look like you have gained 20 pounds already :).

Chris Aten said...

I've seen the exotic Chinese carpet, it is very nice, haha.