Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Another Great Spring Day

Yesterday was just pure gold. High temps in the upper 60's, sunny and light winds.

My goal for the day was to get in four hours of base training with some zone 4-5 work in there somewhere. I rode south out of Saline to Willow Rd. then east past I-275 to Willow Metro Park. This is the location of the TT that will take place on Sunday. I met two of my athletes there, (John and Mike), for a workout and familiarization for Mike. This will be his first TT so I wanted to give him an overview of the race and also some coaching on starting, etc..

The ride out to the park was really nice since it was just after rush hour. Willow Rd. was very quiet. I only saw a few cars which was very nice. This was one of the few rides I have had in my life when I didn't have a single motorist pass too close to me or do some other nutty thing. It took about an hour and a half to get down to the park and I found John and Mike setting up their gear. We spun around the course for a few miles then practiced starts. Since Mike is on a recovery week, I didn't want him to hammer away. John and I, however, are on build weeks so we did the full six laps. John improved his time over last year by over 40 seconds! I was low tech using my cell phone as a chronometer and rode somewhere between 31 and32 minutes which knocks almost 3 minutes off last years time. What a difference a year makes. My goal for Saturday is to ride a 31 minute TT. This will be hard but I think it is a a reasonable goal.

After the TT workout I rode back to Saline enjoying the bright sunshine. That's good too because as I write this Wednesday morning, the rain is pouring down.

4 comments:

Doug said...

Let it rain let it rain, NOAA radio says this weekend will be nice.

Darrell Anderson said...

I heard the same. Just can't stand the trainer but it will have to do.

Zachary Maino said...

As you know the TT is satreday. In your blog you say its on Sunday. Anyways...when am i going to get over there and ride with you? You ride with your other athletes. I know i know, there is a problem with me living in J-town.

Darrell Anderson said...

My bad. The TT is Saturday. I was thinking it would be nice to find a place in your neck of the woods to do some testing. That way I could test Joey Schaard also. Suggestions?