Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Valley of Fatigue

Tomorrow will mark the end of my first build week. What a week it has been. I am really feeling the effects of all the efforts I have put my body through this week. One of the authors I have read recently said he tells his athletes he is going to take them through the "valley of fatigue." What he meant was that during the build period, the athlete will be forced to overreach. This is fine. The goal of the coach is to prescribe the just the right dosage of intensity to overreach but not overtrain the athlete. So at the end of the build week the athlete will feel tired and ready for a break. The trick is to drive the athlete as close as you can to overtraining without actually going over the edge. Then comes recovery when fitness soars.

I just feel really tired and sore right now. I did a 2.5 hour ride today and had no problem staying in zone 2. There was no "go" in my legs at all. It was beautiful here today though. Wonderful riding and tons of other riders out. I always like to see other people enjoying bike riding. It doesn't matter if they are rec riders or racers. I rode out of Saline through AA onto HRD to Dexter, Parker Rd., Scio Church back to Saline.

Riding around Saline is getting too crazy. Drivers are not bike friendly often times. I am getting honked at and having fingers waved and pointed at me. Why does everyone think they know the motor vehicle code for the state of Michigan? Drivers tell me that we must ride single file. They tell me I have no right to be on the road. Neither is in the code. There are times when I goof up for sure but I really try to obey stop signs, traffic lights, etc.. Oh well. I am going to bed in the hope that my legs will return to me by morning. Good night.

No comments: