Sunday, May 06, 2007

Light Show

Flying home late night from the west coast Friday, we flew by that viscious line of storms that tore up Kansas so bad. We stayed about 100 nautical miles away from the storms at 41,000 feet but still encountered pretty rough air. These were some of the nastiest storms I have witnessed in my flying career. Along with our passengers, we marveled at the incredible light show and stunning chains of lightning flying from cloud to cloud. In the big storms I have watched in the past, you see the cloud light up as lightning goes off inside the could but this was the first time I saw the chains flying outside the cloud at very high altitudes. At one point I remarked that we were going to read about these storms in the papers tomorrow. Here's one headline:

Huge twister kills at least 9 in Kansas

The power that was being unleashed just had to bring devastation.

No comments: