Tuesday, May 01, 2007

STS # 4 Recap


This day, the Lathrup team put on a criterium clinic. They absolutely "schooled" the rest of the field. There is no question they have the strongest rider in Michigan racing right now in Josh Tarrant who took the win. Not that but they managed to put two riders into the winning break and had two or three others blocking magnificently at the front of the peloton. It was amazing to watch as they held a death-grip on the competition. If anyone shot off the front, one of them would go and break it up. Then, they would go back to setting tempo at the front blocking any further attempts at a chase. I was very impressed and learned a lot about bike racing today.

The race was 60 1K laps. After last week, I was very leery of going too hard too early. When the break got away no one person or team would be the one to lead the chase. Everyone was looking to someone else to burn matches to chase them down. By the last five laps we were really getting close. I could see them just a couple hundred meters up the road but what I didn't see was Josh Tarrant's solo break that beat them by 20 seconds!
Josh Tarrant crosses the line 20 seconds in front of the break

Overall, the tempo wasn't as hard as the previous week. I felt very good going into the last five laps. I was employing my "Blair Dudley" tactic which simply means I kept Blair in view and did what he did. Nobody knows this course like him...nobody. He will always be in a position to win the field sprint at this course. Follow his wheel and you will be in good shape. Going into the last lap I was a couple of riders back from Blair. I didn't see any of my teammates and didn't know for sure where they were so I decided to just stick with Blair until I saw someone else.
That's me on the last lap inthe orange and black kit three riders back from Blair in the black kit

I held my position as we entered the sprint and as I kicked I rubbed wheels with the rider in front of me and nearly went down. I kept the bike upright but that was just enough to blow any chance to have a good finish in the sprint. Riders blew by me left and right. Oh well...that's bike racing.

1 comment:

Doug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.