Monday, May 14, 2007

Peaking

Last week and this week are peaking weeks for me. Theoretically, I should be at my best this weekend. No excuses are available for a subpar performance. So, I have been doing some fine-tuning and resting. Every 72-96 hours I try to get a race specific training session in. I would love to do this on a group ride but it has been rough putting it together due to schedule conflicts. So, it has been up to me to rough myself up on training rides. It has actually been quite a challenge to train as hard on my own as I would in a group.

I don't know what to expect this at the Tour of Kensington Valley this weekend. The short uphill prologue is going to hurt big-time and I have no feel for how I will do on that distance. I think Rune could do a lot of damage. In testing, this has been his strongest area. 2.5 miles should take something less than 5-10 minutes somewhere which is not where my strengths lie. I like my chances better on the crit and the road race if I plan recovery well. Nutrition and recovery is going to be key.

3 comments:

Doug said...

Use the lightest everything you have, take off the bottle cages, no computer, no HRM, and go to the bathroom right before, etc :)

dmo said...

It's not really an uphill prologue. More like a short TT in which you start and end on a hill. The hill itself isn't too bad, about 500m at 5%. A power climb, really. After that it's flat with some rollers. I think a TT setup will be faster than just a road bike despite the extra weight. Here's a map (my best guess) along with an elevation profile.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=944357

Good luck!

David

Darrell Anderson said...

Thanks!!