Monday, September 08, 2008

After the crash

Yesterday's race didn't really work out for me and that's fine. I was praying about the race on Saturday night and it struck me that I was placing the bike and racing in front of God. Long story short, I decided I would go to church and take my chances on getting to the race in Ann Arbor.

The race previous to mine was delayed which gave me the opportunity to get things together in time. Problems developed as I began my warm up. After the crash on Saturday, I straightened my handlebars. The crash wrenched them pretty badly. Well, during the warm up I noticed some play in the headset. The SRAM neutral support lent me some tools to fix it but no dice. It was still loose. Time was running out now and I was seriously worried that I had cracked the steerer tube in the race the day before. There was no way I was going to race on that course at that speed with a steerer tube that might give way and leave me doing a very poor impersonation of George Hincapie. At least he didn't have buildings, cars and signs to run into.

After pulling my handlebars completely off, pulling the fork out and inspecting the tube I determined that it was sound. The problem must have been in my adjustment at the SRAM tent. It was then that I heard the start.

James was a bit disappointed but it was really okay with me. I don't know how well I would have done on that course with my gimpy leg.

The racing was awesome! Kudos to my team mates, Eric, Giff and Zach who absolutely killed it! Well done men!!

2 comments:

Zachary Maino said...

That race was nuts. I was talking to Big Ray and he said the race finished with 1/3 of the people it started with! Im just glad I finished! (In last place)

dmo said...

How about a race report for us out of town folks? Sounds like the team did great. And yeah, I guess this racing thing is just riding bikes around in circles at the end of the day.