Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Leaving Helsinki

The three separate alarms I set go off in a symphony of noise welcoming me to a full day of airline travel. This is low key stuff compared to my normal pilot workday. Missing a wake-up call or a meeting time could be a major, major issue. Not so today. All we have to do is meet our driver and traverse the lonely streets of this town, negotiate the airport check-in and security and we are basically into relaxation mode.

As I sit, we have made it to the gate at Vantaa airport and even made a coffee and pastry stop. I commented in the limo that I could live here and I could. I told Jean that this is the "Land of the thin haired people." I might as well be strolling through an Anderson family reunion. Everybody looks familiar and has hair like Abby and me, (that is when I had hair). Whispy thin hair. The city is so clean. This is so remarkable after enduring the filth of China for a week.

Getting home means I can once again ride my bike. It has been ages. The last time I rode was the day of the Ann Arbor PH race. I needed the time off pretty badly. My bike thoughts now gravitate towards long fall-ish rides through Waterloo and beyond. CX?j Maybe but it isn't what sounds good. There are some maintenance issues awaiting me when I return. A couple of wheels need to be trued and some other little issues. Bikeboy and his sister are on a fall retreat with their school so It will be Mrs. A, Abby and myself for a couple of days.

4 comments:

Doug said...

What is that new picture at the top?!?!?!? Is that you????????? 'Back in the day'? Your misspent youth? Back before the nine kids and three ex-wives took all your hair?

Zachary Maino said...

No no no Doug. Thats Scott Kroske. Check out Time Finkel's blog to get the full story. timfinkel.blogspot.com

dmo said...

I know I keep repeating myself, but you have no idea how fun cx is until you try it. Check out one of the AAVC Thursday night practices, or hop in at one of the tailwind races at Vets park. It's like being a little kid on a bike again. For longer rides, riding on dirt roads is a really nice change of scenery while still getting in the long miles. Ask Rich about routes - he knows those roads like the back of his hand. A lot of them go straight West, and start out close to your place.

Kroske said...

Anderson... as always... you are the man.

Kroske