Tuesday, September 09, 2008

for DMO

DMO, check out this video from the Grand Rapids race last Saturday. At :25 seconds a crash takes place that takes me out along with a Coastie and one of those pink dudes. The guy with the camera caused the crash I'm told. All I know is I was riding a straight line and then, boom, I am on the ground facing backward about to be run over while skidding atop the Coastie. He suffered way more than me. The rider with the camera, (John Coyle), goes on to win the race. The course was very technical and it was hard to move up. My thinking is that people started to push it a little to gain position on this the second to last lap. Check this out though. It is a really cool video.

Eric and Giff did a great job fighting for position. Eric ended up 4th and Giff was 7th.

I was out on Sunday so I'll let the others tell the tale.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having been right behind the crash I would have to say John started the domino effect but the fault was the two worlds of the coastie (Dave Hietikko, also a friend of mine) and John meeting. As with the new CERN partial accelerator, when to fast things meet in the same area things happen. It is nice John is putting all the blame on himself but trust me, he is a quality racer and has won more races then you or I will ever dream of.

Jose Acala (SRAM TECH at the race and long time friend) once said after a crash at superweek, "You know, there are safer sports"

Anyway, the course seemed to be safe enough but a lot of crashes in every race. Sunday's course seemed to be real technical and I don't think anyone crashed, go figure...

-Rayster

Darrell Anderson said...

Thanks for the added clarification Ray. Jose hits the nail on the head.

The way I see it, when I enter a race I am waiving my right to complain about a crash. It is all about the nature of the sport. Sure, if someone intentionally crashed another out that would be cause for official intervention but I didn't suspect that for a second in this case.

If I keep racing it will eventually be me who will have to apologize for starting the dominoes to fall and yes, it was very meaningful to me that John was taking credit and asking if I was alright, (this from my team mates). It proves he's a stand up dude.

Anonymous said...

Send a couple hours on his blog site. You would be amazed at how right you are.

Darrell Anderson said...

Thanks Ray. Can you post up the blog address for us? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

http://johnkcoyle.wordpress.com/

Be careful, you may learn something, I always do!

dmo said...

Gracias, seƱor Ace. As a riding buddy of mine likes to say, if you crash in a race, you're a hero. If you crash while training, you're a dork. I'm not sure how the counting goes if you do both.

Anonymous said...

There is a great picture of Vince on http://www.usacycling.org/ wait for the scroll.

Doug said...

Why do they let someone ride with a camera?

I do not see any crash in that video.

Alan said...

I asked myself the same question about the camera - its attached to the bars - so its not like he's holding it while navigating through traffic then going on to win.

The crash happens behind the guy with the camera