Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A Morning Ride At The Soo

After spending the day on Mackinac Island, we drove to Sault Ste. Maria to see the locks. I love big ships and I especially love to see them close up. Man was this cool. Huge 1000' freighters 5o feet away! Awesome!

There is a lot to be said for biking this area. The roads are very quiet, (especially at 0630), and the scenery is beautiful. I was slated for an hour of training but I made it more like one and a half.

After the ride we toured the locks again then drove down to Leland where we have a room at the Falling Waters Lodge. Wow this place is very cool. As I write I am sitting in front of our room overlooking Fishtown. Jean is on the beach watching the sun set. Tourism is way down up here and hotels are giving out deals. Yesterday at the Soo, I walked into the Ojibay Ramada and got a very deeply discounted rate and managed the same here.

I am planning on riding tomorrow but it might have to wait for the sun to rise a ways into the sky. We are looking for a low of 49F here tonight and I didn't pack appropriate clothing.

Ciao.

2 comments:

joe1265 said...

Leland,

The start of the Tour De Leelanau. Get a taste for what this race is like by riding out M-22 out of the city and down to Schomberg road. From there it's left,right,right,left,right....

you get the picture!

Doug said...

Watch out for pirates. You don't want to get caught up in a Viking raid if they land in force.