Sunday, June 24, 2007

State TT

James, Maria and I arose at 0530 to make preparations and drive to Dearborn for the Wolverine Time Trial. Maria joined us to help us out with race prep. She is currently on the disabled list due to a condition called VCD (Vocal Chord Dysfunction). When she is near exertion, her vocal chords slam shut blocking her airway.

Anyway, we caffeinated and breakfasted at Tim Horton's. I'll pass on their coffee next time. Not awful just not good. From there we drove the forty five minutes over to Helms Haven on Hines Drive near Outer Drive. This is where the race starts from.


(This was the scene when we arrived at seven am. That's "Big" Ray Dybowski in the foreground. )

I had a moment of panic as I realized I hadn't brought both James' and my racing license. I decided to try and beg for mercy but before I could even get down on my knees, I was given a form to take to the officials to let me and James race. Phew...one bullet dodged. You could look at this two different ways. This wasn't going my way so far, or, things were really looking up! I chose the latter. I did have to do some scouting to find an official but eventually I corraled one and we got the release signed and we were cleared to race.


James was up first at eight am. One of his season goals was to get his 20K under thirty five minutes. Based on his recent results, I felt he stood a good chance of wrapping up this season goal today.

He looked good riding out. Maria and I walked down the course to cheer James on in the last few hundred meters. I kept looking at my watch guessing when he would appear. Right on schedule, with less than a minute left to make that thirty five minute time he came puffing around the bend bringing it home with determination. He brought the ride in around 35:30! Way to go James! He was disappointed he didn't get it under thirty five minutes but he managed to cut four minutes off his last 20K! I'd say that is pretty good. He can go for that thirty five mark again in August.

I was a little jittery from that lousy Tim Horton's coffee. I didn't feel particularly good...just okay. My computer was set up to give me average speed which I planned on watching like a hawk to make sure I was averaging 25 mph or better. In the first few miles, my average was on target around 26.5 mph. Checking the winds before I left I was worried about headwinds on the return leg but I would say the winds were pretty confused. Headwinds one moment, tailwinds the next.

As I completed the first turn-around I was carrying a lot of speed. Approaching the pylon I leaned back on the bike and hit the brakes. As I rounded the pylon my rear wheel locked and slid out on me. I skidded to a stop and came out of my pedals nearly falling over. Not good. I jumped back into the pedals and cranked it back up to 26 mph. I must have lost 10 or 15 seconds to this error but I decided I just had to make sure it didn't happen again. If I would have fallen it would have been much worse.

The second leg was tougher than the first with regards to the winds. They were still confused but I did get a sense of the winds being more of a headwind. Still, my average fell to only 26.4 mph. All I needed to get under 60minutes was 25 mph average. Approaching the second turn-around I was on track to bring the ride in under 60 minutes.

After gingerly turning around I sprinted away on the last half of the race. My mind began to think about the possibilities. If I could keep the speed up over 26 mph I could be looking at a time well under 60 minutes! This proved to be premature. The second half, predictably, was much harder than the first. It wasn't that I was suffering any more just that I couldn't hold the same speed with the same effort.

After rounding the last pylon, I determined to floor it all the way back. As I was riding away, the Lathrup boys were riding inbound to the turn-around on their TTT. This meant I was about to get passed by a whole team of riders. At least that is what I thought. They never caught me.

This was the more difficult side of the course. I rode just as hard as I could and the average speed was holding near 26 mph. I began to see some familiar sights roll into view that suggested the end was near. I just couldn't go any deeper without going too deep into the anaerobic zone. Going to deep would mean I would have to slow down to clear lactate. I was right on the edge but now we were coming down to the last 1000 meters and it was time to unleash everything that was left. Drive it well into the anaerobic range and recover after crossing the line.

There it was, the overpass right before the little climb before the finish line. As I neared the finish line I saw the clock read 58:55!!! I had done it. I pumped my fist after crossing the line. Folks must have thought I was nuts but I was just elated.

I found Maria and we hugged. What a ride. It was good enough for second place but I didn't really care. It was that 60 minute goal that I was after.

This blog is about cycling. But today, it is also about acknowledging the source of my strength. Last night, James and I agreed that we would ask God for strength to ride fast that we might glorify him in some way. Waiting to start a TT, sometimes, I get myself fired up by kind of yelling at myself under my breath. Today, I started to do this but then remembered our prayer the night before and I asked God to give me strength in my legs. I asked for him to receive the glory for any victory I might achieve. He gave me good legs, deep breaths and great confidence in his provision for me. Sola Deo Gloria!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Head winds both ways, that is Hines drive. For the turnaround I find it helps if you yell something like ‘turn you piece of junk’ or some variant of that.